Blessed Gizella Archdiocese Collection – The Saint George Chapel
According to the medieval chronicles, Prince Saint Imre took a vow of chastity in the round, Romanesque-style chapel, which was built in the 10th and 11th centuries. The relic of the head of Saint George, which King Saint Stephen was given by the Byzantine emperor, was also kept here. The chapel (rotunda), which is next to the cathedral, was excavated in 1957. The chapel, which has a semicircular choir, was reconstructed in the Gothic style in the 13th century, which was also when the building got its octagonal shape. The tomb and the red marble fragments of the tombstone of Renaissance Bishop Albert Vetési were found in the course of the excavation. The chapel was also a chapter house, and indeed according to a charter that was issued in 1417 it was also the site for the elections of bishops. It was also a place of pilgrimage, to which Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund of Luxembourg traveled in 1401.
Photo by Lajos Kövesdi Róka